"How to" make just about any G-chord

registered
2006 11 03
1,152 posts

...next up are the "C-shape" chords, so maybe these charts will make some sense?!?

...the "yellow" cells highlight the 'common' notes/fingerings connecting the different chord "shapes" together.

...maybe we should start a new posting?: ' "How to" make just about any C chord '

...and the DEVIL said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"

registered
2006 11 19
2,622 posts

It does make some sense OTM, yes. I see the D and E shapes mixed in with (if that's a good way to describe that) the C shape diagram and so on with the other diagrams. Not sure yet what all of it means but I have a feeling I will.

Great idea...new posting for 'C shape'. Good diagrams OTM, thank you !

...'you bought a guitar to punish your ma'...

registered
2006 11 03
1,152 posts

...one last point about "why" you'd want to know the CAGED chord "shapes" -- when playing chordal melody songs, where the MELODY note is the 'last' note in each chord, you need to know how to "get" that melody note into position as the last note, and THAT requires you know how to "make" each chord so that YOU can position the last note on the B2 or E1 strings for melody.

...for example here are the introductory chords to "I LEFT MY HEART IN SAN FRANCISCO":

X 1 3 2 3 X = BbM7....." I "
X 3 5 3 4 X = Cm7......" left "
X X 2 3 2 3 = Gdim7..." my "
X X 3 2 3 1 = BbM7....." heart "

...notice how there's a new chord for each melody note!

registered
2006 11 19
2,622 posts

OTM, great post...I got that right away...sitting here learning the chords and playing with emphasis on (I'm just sure there's a musical term/notation for that) the last or 'melody' note from each of the four chords. Good one, thank you !

registered
2006 11 03
1,152 posts

[quote=GuitarZen]OTM, great post...I got that right away...sitting here learning the chords and playing with emphasis on (I'm just sure there's a musical term/notation for that) the last or 'melody' note from each of the four chords. Good one, thank you ![/quote]
...I've only heard it called "chordal melody" or "chordal jazz."

registered
2006 11 19
2,622 posts

Thanks OTM, I'll see if I can commit that to the memory banks.

• X
  • Master Volume

• Select Your Guitar

• Right or Left Handed

•  
  • Chord Strum Speed

• Chord Pick Speed

•  
  • Scale Speed

•  
  • Tuner Repeat Rate