Tempo change using ChordBook sequencer?

registered
2015 09 20
30 posts

I've been playing around with the sequencer's SAVE chord function. Going from 4/4 time to 3/4 time can be roughly approximated by leaving the last space in the line blank. Then returning to 4 beats to the barre. Sorta works. The idea is to imagine the 3/4 part picked instead of strummed with just three notes of a given chord activated. Of course, playback is all strummed but I find I can hear the 3-note picking in my head: 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3. Anybody else here tried to get around a tempo change this way?

registered
2006 11 19
2,622 posts

Hello jeffed, you might be onto something and i've played around with the sequencer some...tried something different today...loaded a 145 progression with a space, loaded the progression again, then  just clicked the single select button faster and faster and i could actually hear
something of a rhythm happening.

GuitarZen

...'you bought a guitar to punish your ma'...

registered
2015 09 20
30 posts

Worth a try, GuitarZen. Thanks for the suggestion.

Naturally, I could simply pick up a guitar and PLAY it 4/4 to 3/4 and back again - strummed, picked (3 notes, 3 times) , strummed. I could even record it that way on GarageBand to perfect the timing. But it's usually the middle of the night here in Oz when I'm experimenting with these things and that's when the ChordBook sequencer is conveniently quiet and handy.

A good example of what I'm getting at occurs at 53 seconds and again at 1.06 (etc.) into "We Can Work it Out" by the Beatles. Here's a link to it on YT. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_UMZ_9RBmk

(Admin: Please advise me if providing a link to another website contravenes ChordBook's terms and conditions. Thanks.)

registered
2006 11 19
2,622 posts

Did that work for you jeffed? Listened to we can work it out and pretty much knew that's what you meant...i'll be adding
that tech to my noodling around with chords, so thanks.

On the admin/adding a link thing...well i'm pretty sure it's against the law in the UK for anyone to prohibit links to
Beatles songs on youtube...i could be wrong though...hoping admin sees this !

Cheers,

GuitarZen

registered
2015 09 20
30 posts

I haven't tried your method yet, GuitarZen, as it would require me to clear my existing saved chord pattern...but I WILL give it a try in a little while. Thanks again.

The reason I queried Admin was because a couple of lines dropped out of my last post twice before they were reinstated. It made me wonder whether links to other websites were against policy. I checked again - fixed - and I'm a happy camper.

registered
2015 09 20
30 posts

Try dashing this one off in 7/8 time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_ (Pink_Floyd_song)

registered
2006 11 19
2,622 posts

"New car, caviar, four star daydream, Think I'll buy me a football team"

I like that line...and when i get my hands on even a little money, i spend
it at least 7/8 ! always liked Pink Floyd and can remember first time
i heard 'Money'...sometime before '73 somehow.

GuitarZen

registered
2015 09 20
30 posts

"...and I think I need a Lear jet."

There was a period of about two years where I played nothing but Pink Floyd every night. Great stuff, yeah.

registered
2006 11 19
2,622 posts

In my practice book i have 'comfortably numb'... i like to strum that and try to sing (keyword 'try'), but no
solos or any of that...i just like the song. I have 'wish you were here' and feel i'm pretty good at the intro
and can ease into where David Gilmour comes in and i can strum the verse chords ok. something i have
in my book is 'crazy diamond' but i only  added it when i was learning barre chords and at one point i could
go through the whole tab...now my hand cramps up before i finish but i like some of the progressions.

I've got 'the wall' and that's there for the rhythm and is good practice. sometimes i can even get the Dm-G
change on time. again, no solos...just using it to keep the rhythm and lyrics lined up. prolly easy for a lot
of players here, but i'm different... :)

lastly, but a favorite, are 'pigs on the wing' both parts and i like the C-Csus4-C to the G to the Cadd9
back to the G and i can 'kind of' sing it and keep it timed right 'all in all'.

Cheers,

GuitarZen

registered
2015 09 20
30 posts

Good job working out the chords. The only principal songs from their heyday you didn't mention were "Dogs" and "Sheep". It's been said that they didn't write songs so much as movements. "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" is my favourite. The lyrics alone are worth waiting for.

• X
  • Master Volume

• Select Your Guitar

• Right or Left Handed

•  
  • Chord Strum Speed

• Chord Pick Speed

•  
  • Scale Speed

•  
  • Tuner Repeat Rate