registered
2008 10 31
163 posts

Well C F G7 standard I IV V

The Hardest part of letting go.....

registered
2006 11 19
2,622 posts

I belive that where OTM is talking tetra(4 note) chords, the I IV V (1 4 5) progression would include the CM7, FM7 and G7 chords since C and F are triad (three note) chords.

GuitarZen

...'you bought a guitar to punish your ma'...

registered
2008 10 31
163 posts

oh right of course...its just I hardly ever play that way its more jazzy than I tend to play at least with the badn and stuff but at home on an acoustic now and then I play a nice 251

The Hardest part of letting go.....

registered
2006 11 19
2,622 posts

Thanks xaviersky, you brought something to light that i hadn't thought about for a while. 251 progressions. To be honest, i haven't worked with it much at all but now i will. I did some research....tons of it out there and the 251 is used much more than one would guess if one din't know. I like what the research revealed regarding resolution from the V7 back to the I...makes a lot of sense and i do remember my instructors lessons about the mind wanting the 'tension' chord to resolve or 'come to a conclusion' so to speak and that's where the I chord comes in.

Something i'm thinking about though and maybe you can help with this. Since this thread is in the 'Beginners' section, i wonder if you could come up with a lesson aimed more towards some that i would imagine don't have an idea what we're talking about. Any ideas? You could do something in parts and watch do a Q & A kind of thing, then moving on to the next 'lesson'. Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

GuitarZen

...'you bought a guitar to punish your ma'...

registered
2006 11 03
1,152 posts

...try these 'harmonized chord' substitutions:

1) instead of: G, Em, Am, D

2) try: GM7, GM6, Am7, D9/13

3) or:  GM7, GM6, Am7, D7-5

4) or:  GM7, GM6, Dm7-5, D11

...and the DEVIL said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"

• X
  • Master Volume

• Select Your Guitar