Pianist : New to Guitars, but not to Music.

registered
2017 03 31
1 posts

Hello my name is Karl Williams and I am 44 years old. At the age of 5, I started playing Piano, learned how to play Piano, Organ, and transitioned to using synthesizers. I took Piano lessons long ago but not much to progress my ability to read standard notation. However, it didn't stop me from playing. I compose music using MIDI using my keyboard via computer software. I play manually as well on my synthesizer. Now I want to learn Guitar, I recently purchased a 6-string electric solid body Ibanez, amp, and Boss Pedals - and I am learning chords as a beginner. My current biggest problem is strengthening the muscles in my 3 and 4th fingers to stretch to the strings I want to play. Other problems are that because Piano is my first instrument - I know where key notes are by the order and location of black and white keys on a piano, however on a guitar no such thing exists - it has to be memorized completely and the fingering numbering is different for the left hand - #1 begins with the index finger, not the thumb as for pianists ( keyboardists). I am also interested in knowing where on a piano, where each string string range is ( since you have 2 octaves for each string ) - in standard tuning for guitars. Where does EBGDAE string ranges exist on a keyboard, what octave, and relation to middle C? - so I if I compose a tune on my keyboard I would know if its in the boundary of my guitar's range. I can not afford a guitar instructor so I am learning this on my own - as I did with the Piano. Ive been quite successful with that instrument, but the Guitar is a different thing. So thats why I am here as a beginning Guitar player. I also need some information on music theory as well.

registered
2006 11 03
1,149 posts

A 'quick & dirty' answer (but probably not exactly the answer you were looking for) is to go by the FREQUENCIES of the guitar strings:

E6 = 82.407 Hz = bass-string
A5 = 110.00 Hz
D4 = 146.83 Hz
G3 = 196.00 Hz
B2 = 246.94 Hz
E1 = 329.63 Hz = treble-string

HINT: the C-note at fret 1 on the B2 sting is MIDDLE C (261.6 Hz)

...and the DEVIL said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"

registered
2006 11 03
1,149 posts

I think this (below) is what you were asking for:

Here's the WHOLE piano keyboard:

Unfortunately, you're going to find that PIANO 'note' numbering differs from GUITAR 'string' numbering, ie:

_PIANO B3 = 246.94 Hz
GUITAR B2 = 246.94 Hz

For guitars, the first part (Xx) identifies the NOTE and the second part (xX) identifies the STRING that note in on.

One more illustration, showing guitar strings vs. staff notations:

...and the DEVIL said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"

• X
  • Master Volume

• Select Your Guitar

• Right or Left Handed

•  
  • Chord Strum Speed

• Chord Pick Speed

•  
  • Scale Speed

•